Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Party Like It's Yo Birthday


There's nothing really remarkable about turning 31. Except, I guess, for the realization that you're a full decade past the giddy thrill of the 21st birthday. What was most remarkable about this latest anniversary was what it lacked - namely, the company of my youngest child. Thanks to a very selfless aunt and uncle, The Admiral and I were able to join my fellow Libras (and a couple hangers-on) for an actual dinner out and a post-meal sojourn to flout our parental responsibility at the local watering hole (see Fig. A). With only one stop at home in between to get the sleep-resistant baby to bed.

It was, quite simply, delightful. Three months is a long time to go without a night of (relative) freedom. I remember that my first night out after having Miss M was a two hour dash with my sister (aforementioned aunt), and I was stressed out pretty much the entire time. But with more parenting experience and a pint of Dos Equis in me, even the fact that Mr. Baby had never taken a bottle wasn't getting to me. With good friends, good food and a jukebox considerately loaded with Prince's greatest hits, there was really no way not to enjoy the evening. And coming home to see Auntie K calmly feeding Mr. Baby his first indirect dosage of breastmilk made it that much better, because I walked in the house and immediately felt like we may, someday, possibly, get to do it again.

6 comments:

Chip said...

I KNEW incriminating photos would make their way onto the interwebs!

I think the one on the left is really hot.

Heather said...

is stephanie snapping or flipping the camera off? ;)

Sassy Molassy said...

Who are those shameless harlots in the photograph?!

Stacey Greenberg said...

you forgot my photo credit. and i prefer mamarazzi to "hanger on"

Stephanie said...

We had too much fun! Thanks for letting a non-Libra couple join in the celebration.

Memphisotan said...

Stacey, you have a perfectly legit Libra spouse. I was referring of course to the Chockzeys. Or Sweazleys?